When I picture a tea party, I see a little girl of 5 years with plastic cups and saucers at a small table with four tiny chairs at which she's assembled her favorite dolls and stuffed animals.
"Would you like some more, Mr. Polka Dot Pants?"
The American Tea Party movement is something very different. Less imaginary tea and a whole lot more angry white trash. They are the passionate haters that used to be part of the Republican Party because that party was the closest to passionately hating certain things than the other one. Here are some of their claims:
- The Green Movement is a dangerous, subversive element
- Multi-culturalism is a dangerous, subversive element.
- Illegal immigration is leading to the Islamification of America.
- Obama is from Nigeria, not Hawaii.
- US national security is weakened under the Obama administration
Who runs it? Where did it come from? Who's funding it? Nobody knows. It appears to be a vast collection of groups that have gravitated to this ultra-conservative stance and rallied around the idea of stifling debate by shouting other people down. The idea of the little girl tea party couldn't be further from the reality of this movement. They're numerous and they're angry and they are simply not drinking their chamomile tea. They're drinking cool aid spiked with NOS and crystal meth.