He's painted as the maverick GOP'er whose own party disavows him. Please don't buy that turd-pie of a story. That's just a ploy to make him more palatable to moderate Democrats who can't stand Hilary. Don't get me wrong, at least he's not hard charging religious nut or some blood thirsty neocon. But before you start giving him the benefit of the doubt and vote for him, please please double check where he is on the issues that you care about. For me, I care primarily about climate change and McCain's record is kinda mixed there:
1) YAY! He voted against oil drilling (or as some might call it "Oil Exploration" in the Alaskan wildlife preserve.
2) WHATEVER: He co-sponsored the Climate Stewardship Act, which would establish a carbon cap-and-trade system to reduce US emissions (voted down). Generally considered to be a far weaker act to the one the Demos were trying to push through.
3) BOOO! He's against the signing of the Kyoto Treaty, just as Bush was.
4) YAY! He, unlike GWB, had the sense to acknowledge that climate change was real and that humans need to address it.
5) BOOOO!: He's gone AWOL on FIFTEEN important environmental votes - perhaps knowing that voting either way is a strike against him with someone important. This plan seems to have backfired. He has earned a score of ZERO from The League of Conservative Voters on issues pertaining to "The Environment." In case you're wondering, Obama got a 67 and Clinton a 73. The average in Congress is a 53.
I wouldn't pay much attention to what he says about climate change and the environment now because he's at that pivotal stage where he'd agree to clean the ocean with a hand cranked water purification system once elected. "I'll perform mouth to mouth on polar bears if need be. Just say the word."